A Six-Draft Course in Creative Writing
In this private online writing course taught by Lead Story Editor Matthew Arkin, writers tackle a series of tailored exercises that guide them through the development of a single scene.
Each completed assignment is returned with detailed notes and feedback, as well as an invitation to revise. The next assignment focuses on a different skill or element of craft, using the newest draft as the starting point.
At the end of the course, students have seven discrete drafts (the original plus six progressive revisions) of a piece of their original writing as evidence of their increased mastery.
The course includes 60 minutes of consultation by phone to be used as needed, plus a pep talk if you have a nervous breakdown/writer’s block somewhere in there. (Hey, it happens.)
Assignments might focus on the following topics:
Then again, they might not. It depends on you, your scene, and your goals as a writer.
- Structure, plot, & pacing
- Showing vs. telling
- Setting & description
- Conventions of genre
Lessons might take the following forms:
Then again . . . you get the idea. It’s all about you.
- The Image as Inspiration: How to write believable moments your readers can envision.
- The Living Character: How to create characters that live and breathe beyond the boundaries of the page.
- The Character in Need: How and why to create characters with compelling motivations and desires.
- The Turning Point: How to engineer decisive moments in your stories.
- The Story Beneath the Story: How to present subtext in dialogue and deed.
- The Resonant Ending: How to use three-act structure to surprise and satisfy your readers.
Ready to sign up now? Follow the link to check out using PayPal.
The Storyteller’s Eye$599.00
Need more information?
Book a free phone call to get a feel for our approach. We’re not for everyone, but we might be right for you.